ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Established in November of 1998 in partnership with The Friends of Longview Library, the Longview Library Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises and manages funds for the betterment and continuity of the Longview Public Library. The Longview Library Foundation ensures that the contributions it receives provide a stable base of financial support for the library's special needs while keeping in mind the wishes of its contributors. The money raised by the foundation is overseen by our directors, each of whom are elected to serve between three and six years on the foundation's board.
The Longview Library Foundation's mission, working alongside our community, is to preserve the past and create the future for our public library and the thousands of people that make use of it every year. We want to expand literacy, foster curiosity and broaden the library's reach through strategic investments in its needs. Your gift to the Longview Library Foundation makes a big difference and gives you an opportunity to stand for a valuable community resource.
The Foundation's Board consists of community members and representatives of the Library Board of Trustees and the Friends of the Library. The Library Director works closely with the Foundation. The Foundation exists solely for the betterment and continuity of the Longview Public Library and has built an endowment fund to provide sustained its support in addition to managing designated gifts.
ABOUT LONGVIEW PUBLIC LIBRARY
In 1922-23 the Long-Bell Lumber Company, under the leadership of Mr. Robert A. Long, conceived and started building the "Planned City" of Longview. The Public Library was the first of R. A. Long's gifts to the City of Longview. Mr. and Mrs. Long gave $150,000 to the city to build a public library. A local book drive helped gather book donations to create the original collection, and the Longs contributed an additional $10,000 to purchase new titles.
The Library was dedicated April 26, 1926 with much fanfare and speeches by Mr. Long and Dr. Henry Suzzalo, president of the University of Washington. Miss Helen Johns was the first Librarian.The original building was designed by architect Arch Torbitt in the Georgian style to match the grand design for the Civic Center that had been proposed in 1926.
During the early years of the Lower Columbia Junior College many of the classes were held in the Library and it was the center of the college until the Main Building was built in 1950. In 1953 the Library was extensively remodeled to make more use of the lower floor for library collections. And in 1967-68 an expansion was completed which tripled the floor space of the original building.
As the Library looks forward to the 21st century plans are being made to bring it up to date for handicap access and for earthquake, fire, and electrical safety and again to enlarge the building to accommodate the information explosion and to accommodate present and future technological growth.
Bob Roth - Treasurer
OUR BOARD MEMBERS AND LIAISON POSITIONS
Rosemary Powelson Bailey
Terrah J. Goeden
Longview Library Board of Trustees Liaison
Claudio Perissinotto - Board Member
Karen Jones - Friends of Longview Library Liaison